If you are searching for a solution to make your stairs safer, whether it be for yourself, someone in your family, or even the regular house guests, then you might want to consider buying non-slip stair treads. However, pinpointing the best non-slip stair treads is often challenging due to the many options available.
The best overall non-slip stair treads are the EdenProducts Carpet Stair Treads. They are weatherproof, easy to install, and provide a decent amount of slip resistance. Also, they are easy to maintain and can be used in both indoor and outdoor applications.
The only instances in which I’d recommend alternative stair treads are:
- You need treads you can install on different types of surfaces. Go with the Trazon Grip Tape
- You need treads for wood surfaces. Go with the Handi-Treads Safety Tread
- You need the best treads for your pets’ and kids’ safety. Go with the Delxo Treads
- You need treads that are easy to clean and install. Go with the MBIGM Stair Treads
- You need durable treads. Go with the LifeGrip Anti Slip Treads
- You need the best treads for outdoor applications. Go with the Rubber-Cal Regal Treads
- You need discrete, clear treads. Go with the FINEHOUS Stair Treads Tape
- You need treads for smooth surfaces. Go with the MATAHUM Treads
- You need the most comfortable treads. Go with the Elogio Treads
- You need the best treads for protecting your stairs. Go with the PURE ERA Treads
Table of Contents
Non-Slip Stair Treads: Factors to Consider When Buying
Stair treads are an essential addition to any staircase, whether inside or outside a building. Notably, they provide safety as well as aesthetic value.
These treads are made from different materials and feature various shapes and adhesives, but not every type is appropriate for all applications.
The following is a breakdown of the most important factors to consider when purchasing non-slip stair treads:
One of the first things to consider is the weatherproofing of the treads. If you use them outdoors, they must be resistant to moisture and wetness, or they will quickly become damaged.
Some materials, such as vinyl and rubber, are better suited for outdoor use than others.
|EdenProducts Carpet Stair Treads||Wool||8.0/10|
|Trazon Grip Tape||Aluminum oxide||9.0/10|
|Handi-Treads Safety Tread||Aluminum oxide||9.0/10|
|Delxo Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads||Suede||6.0/10|
|MBIGM Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads||Polypropylene fiber||8.5/10|
|LifeGrip Anti Slip Traction Treads||PET||9.5/10|
|Rubber-Cal Regal Stair Treads||Rubber and natural fibers||8.0/10|
|FINEHOUS Stair Treads Tape||PEVA||7.0/10|
|MATAHUM Stair Treads||Polypropylene fiber||8.5/10|
|Elogio Carpet Stair Treads||Polypropylene fiber||8.5/10|
|PURE ERA Carpet Stair Treads||Polypropylene fiber||8.5/10|
The material of the treads is also essential. They can be made from various materials, including:
Each type has its benefits and drawbacks, which you should consider before making a purchase.
For example, vinyl and rubber are moisture-resistant and provide good traction, but rubber is more durable than vinyl. Wood is a natural material that is appealing to many people, but it does not have a lot of traction and can become slippery when wet.
Metal and plastic are less common materials for stair treads, but they offer good traction and are weatherproof.
Another important consideration is the adhesive used to attach the treads to the stairs.
Some adhesives work better than others in certain situations. For example, some adhesives work well on wood surfaces, while others work well on concrete or metal stairs.
As a result, it is crucial to select an adhesive that will work well with the surface of the stairs.
The most important factor of any non-slip stair tread is slip resistance.
The treads must provide a good amount of traction to prevent anyone from slipping and falling. Treads can be made from various materials, but the anti-skid material determines the traction.
Some materials, such as vinyl and rubber, have a built-in anti-skid surface which provides good traction.
Other materials, such as wood or metal, require an additional anti-skid coating to provide traction. It is crucial to select a tread with good slip resistance for the intended application.
The quality of the treads is also crucial. Cheaper treads are often flimsier and do not last as long as quality ones.
However, quality comes with a price tag, so you must be willing to pay for peace of mind about your investment.
It would be best if you also considered the aesthetic value of the treads. In general, the types, shape, and color of the stair treads can affect how well they blend into the staircase.
Stair treads come in many different colors, which allow them to match almost any style or décor, but some materials, such as wood, are more natural-looking than others.
The size of the treads is also essential to consider.
They may be long or short, depending on their intended application.
For example, a short tread is suitable for a small step, while a long one is better for a large step.
The comfort of the stair treads is also essential. If they do not provide enough traction, they could cause people to slip and fall even though they are supposed to prevent that from happening.
Even if the ideal amount of traction is provided, it may be uncomfortable for people to walk on them. Therefore, it is vital to find the right balance of traction and comfort when selecting stair treads.
Key Takeaway: The best non-slip stair treads are those that are weatherproof, made from a durable material, have good adhesion, provide a lot of traction, and are comfortable to walk on.
Here’s a table that rates the best non-slip stair treads based on the factors to consider when buying them:
Best Overall: EdenProducts Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads
The best overall non-slip stair treads are the EdenProducts Carpet Stair Treads. They are made from wood blends and fiber structure, giving them a natural look and feel.
They are also weatherproof and can be used indoors and outdoors. The adhesive is pressure-sensitive, making them easy to install and remove without any residue.
The treads have a good amount of slip resistance and are available in four colors:
They are also easy to maintain because you can clean them with a vacuum cleaner.
Bottom Line: I recommend the EdenProducts Carpet Stair Treads for any indoor or outdoor application. They are durable, weatherproof, and easy to install.
- Made from durable wood blends and fiber structure
- Can be used outdoors
- Pressure-sensitive adhesive is easy to install
- No residue left after removal
- Offer a decent amount of slip resistance
- Some customers have complained that the adhesive tends to detach when you wash these stair treads with a washing machine.
- Some customers find this stair tread’s odor unpleasant.
Most Versatile: Trazon Grip Tape
The best non-slip tread for wood surfaces is the Trazon Grip Tape.
It is made from heavy-duty aluminum oxide, which is ideal for stairs because it does not become slippery when wet and provides good traction. The adhesive on this material is long-lasting.
Unlike other materials that you cannot use on certain types of surfaces, Trazon Grip Tape works well on almost any surface, including:
- Ceramic tile
- Laminate flooring
- Carpeted steps
This makes it versatile enough to use almost anywhere.
It features a waterproof, strong acrylic adhesive with high traction and excellent slip resistance.
It also has a protective top layer that protects the tread from dirt, oil, moisture, and other chemicals to provide a long-lasting life.
Many people choose non-slip stair treads because they have pets or small children at home who are likely to fall down the stairs when running around.
If this is a concern in your household, these are some of the best options available because it offers good traction and protection from falls.
Bottom Line: I recommend the Trazon Grip Tape for its versatility and durability. You can use it on almost any surface to provide slip resistance and traction.
- Made from high-quality aluminum oxide
- Waterproof rubber adhesive provides excellent grip
- Long-lasting life for the treads
- Protects against dirt, oil, moisture, and chemicals
- Versatile enough for various surfaces
- You’ll need to apply varnish to wood before installing this stair tread. Otherwise, it won’t stick well.
- This stair tread may not stick well on rough surfaces. Like wood, these surfaces will need some prepping for this product to grip them well.
Best for Wood Surfaces: Handi-Treads Safety Tread
The Handi-Treads Safety Tread is the best option for wood surfaces. It features a durable aluminum finish for slip resistance and is specifically designed to fit wooden steps, ramps, or concrete surfaces.
It is made from durable aluminum oxide, an excellent option for stairs because it provides excellent traction and does not become slippery when wet. It also comes with 12 pre-drilled holes to make installation easy and fast.
In addition, the adhesive on this stair tread is long-lasting and protective of the surface beneath it.
Bottom Line: I recommend the Handi-Treads Safety Tread for wood surfaces because they are slip-resistant and durable enough to provide good traction. They can be installed quickly without any trouble as well.
- Protects against dirt, oil, and water
- Custom sizes and colors are available for the best fit possible
- Comes with pre-drilled holes for quick installation
- Durable enough to be used on stairs and ramps
- Some customers have complained that this stair tread is pretty thin and flimsy.
- Some customers find this product overpriced.
- It doesn’t work well in icy conditions.
Pro Tip: Suppose you need help installing your stair treads. In that case, here’s a video that may come in handy:
Best for Pets and Kids’ Safety: Delxo Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads
These stair treads are the best option for homeowners with pets and kids who like to run around.
They can be installed easily on any hard surface, such as wood, concrete, marble, ceramic tile, and laminate flooring.
They feature a suede material that provides excellent slip resistance and stability to prevent accidents from happening during use.
The non-slip adhesive backing also ensures that they will not move when in use, while the TPR base provides maximum stability on different surfaces.
The Delxo Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads come in multiple colors, so you can find one that matches your home decor or preferences. They are also durable and meet US 6P certification standards.
Bottom Line: I recommend the Delxo Carpet Stair Treads for their slip resistance and stability. They come in multiple colors, are easy to install, and meet safety standards.
- Non-slip adhesive backing prevents movement
- Suede material provides excellent slip resistance
- Multiple colors available
- TPR base ensures stability on various surfaces
- Durable and meet US 6P certification standards
- May not stick to unfinished wooden surfaces
- Some customers have reported that the adhesion on the right side of this tread tends to wear out quickly.
- You may need to wash this tread and air dry it to improve adhesion.
Easiest To Clean and Install: MBIGM Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads
The MBIGM Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads are the easiest to clean and install. They come with a self-adhesive back that makes installation a breeze. Just peel and stick them to your desired surface for instant safety.
These stair treads are made of durable polypropylene fiber material that resists fading and discoloration.
They are also water-resistant, so you can use them in any weather condition. The non-slip rubber backing provides excellent traction on all surfaces.
The MBIGM Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads are also stain-resistant, making them easy to keep clean. Simply wipe them down with a damp cloth, and they will look like new again.
Bottom Line: I recommend the MBIGM Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads because they are easy to install, water-resistant, and stain-resistant. They also have a non-slip rubber backing for excellent traction on all surfaces.
- The self-adhesive back makes installation a breeze
- Durable polypropylene fiber resists fading and discoloration
- Non-slip rubber backing provides excellent traction
- Some customers find the back lining too prominent on dark stairs.
- The treads get easily dislodged.
- Some customers have complained that the treads are pretty thin.
Most Durable: LifeGrip Anti Slip Traction Treads
The LifeGrip Anti Slip Traction Treads are the most durable option on this list. They are made of PET material that can withstand even the most extreme weather conditions.
These stair treads also feature an 80 grit aluminum oxide surface that provides excellent traction in wet and dry environments. The adhesive backing ensures that they will not move or slip while in use.
This stair tread also features a photoluminescent stripe that illuminates in the dark for extra safety. This is perfect for those who need a little extra help seeing where they are going in the dark.
The LifeGrip Anti Slip Traction Treads come in multiple sizes and colors to match your home’s decor. They are also easy to clean and can be hosed down for quick and easy cleanup.
Bottom Line: I recommend the LifeGrip Anti Slip Traction Treads because they are durable, have excellent traction, and come in multiple sizes and colors. They are also easy to clean and hose down.
- Made of PET material that withstands extreme weather conditions
- 80 grit aluminum oxide surface provides excellent traction
- Adhesive backing prevents movement or slipping
- Photoluminescent stripe for extra safety in the dark
- Multiple sizes and colors are available
- Easy to clean
- Hose down for quick and easy cleanup
- Installation on wood requires you to seal the wooden surface first.
- Tends to heat up when used outdoors, especially in the summer.
- They can get dislodged if a windstorm occurs.
Best for Outdoor Applications: Rubber-Cal Regal Stair Treads
The Rubber-Cal Regal Stair Treads are the best for outdoor applications. They are made from reclaimed rubber that is durable and long-lasting.
The easy-to-clean surface makes them perfect for use in any environment.
The natural rubber provides excellent traction on all surfaces. The adhesive backing prevents them from slipping or moving while in use.
They are also UV resistant, ensuring that they will not fade or discolor in the sun.
The Rubber-Cal Regal Stair Treads come in various sizes to fit your needs. They are also easy to install; just place them on the surface, and the rubber will provide a natural grip.
Bottom Line: I recommend the Rubber-Cal Regal Stair Treads because they are made from reclaimed rubber for extra durability, have excellent traction on all surfaces, and come in various sizes. They are also easy to install.
- Reclaimed rubber is durable and long-lasting
- Natural rubber provides excellent traction on all surfaces
- Adhesive backing keeps them from slipping or moving
- UV resistant so colors will not fade or discolor in the sun
- Can be recycled after use
- Range of sizes available to fit your needs
- Tend to slip over time if dust accumulates on the stairs
- Less suitable for indoor applications
- Some customers may find the smell of rubber pretty strong, especially immediately after installation.
Most Discrete: FINEHOUS Stair Treads Tape
The FINEHOUS Stair Treads Tape are the most discrete option on this list. They are made of PEVA-based material that is transparent and non-skid.
This makes them perfect for those who want a subtle safety addition to their stairs.
The adhesive backing ensures that they will not move or slip while in use. They are also easy to clean and can be hosed down for quick and easy cleanup.
Bottom Line: I recommend the FINEHOUS Stair Treads Tap because they are discreet, have a non-slip adhesive backing, and are easy to clean and hose down.
- Made of transparent and non-skid PEVA-based material
- Adhesive backing prevents movement or slipping
- Easy to clean and hose down
- May not be suitable for all applications due to their transparency
- Tend to form air pockets on the surface, which may reduce their adhesiveness in the long term.
- You may need to clean the surface for these treads to stick well.
Best for Smooth Surfaces: MATAHUM Stair Treads
The MATAHUM Stair Treads are the best for smooth surfaces. They are made of polypropylene fiber that is soft and safe for use on all types of stairs.
In addition, their non-slip backing prevents them from slipping or moving while in use.
They are also easy to install and require no tapes or adhesives. The adhesive-free design allows the stairs to be returned to their original condition after use. You can even vacuum them for quick and easy cleanup.
Bottom Line: I recommend the MATAHUM Stair Treads because they are made from polypropylene fiber, have a non-slip backing, and do not leave behind any residue or damage during installation.
- Made of polypropylene fiber that is soft and safe for all types of stairs
- Non-slip backing keeps them from slipping or moving while in use
- No tapes or adhesives are needed during installation; adhesive-free design ensures stair surface will return to its original texture once use is discontinued
- Vacuumable for easy cleanup
- May require you first to clean your stairs with Windex for them to fit well.
- Some customers have complained that one side of their treads did not stay down.
- They tend to crease. This reduces their adhesive property.
Most Comfortable: Elogio Carpet Stair Treads
The Elogio Carpet Stair Treads are the most comfortable on this list. Notably, they are made with carpet for extra softness and comfort underfoot.
The stair treads also provide excellent traction, cushioning, and protection against noise.
The tape adhesive backing ensures quick installation without leaving any residue after use.
Also, they are pet-friendly and suitable for use in busy households with kids or pets that may be prone to slips or falls while walking up or downstairs.
Bottom Line: I recommend the Elogio Carpet Stair Treads because they are incredibly safe, have a carpeted surface for added comfort, can be vacuumed or dump-cleaned quickly, do not leave behind any residue after installation, and are pet-friendly.
- Made with carpet for extra comfort and cushioning
- Tape adhesive backing allows quick installation without the need for adhesives or tapes.
- The residue-free design ensures that the stair surface will return to its original condition after use.
- Pet-friendly and suitable for use in a busy household with kids or pets
- Some customers have complained that their treads’ edges were not cut straight.
- Tend to attract and hold dirt
- Some customers have complained that their treads got distorted after washing them.
Best for Protecting Your Stairs: PURE ERA Carpet Stair Treads
The PURE ERA Carpet Stair Treads are the best for protecting your stairs. This is because they are made with a smooth but non-slip surface that protects your stairway from damage by wear and tear.
Thanks to their material composition, they also have a warm, comfortable feel underfoot.
They are safe for pets and kids, reduce noise, and come with an adhesive backing to ensure quick installation. They are also suitable for use on stairs with carpeting.
Bottom Line: I recommend the PURE ERA Carpet Stair Treads because they are made from a soft material that is comfortable underfoot, have an adhesive backing to ensure quick installation without leaving any residue, and protect your stairway from wear and tear.
- Soft material provides warmth, comfort, and cushioning underfoot
- Adhesive backing ensures quick installation without the need for tapes or adhesives
- Blend well with wood.
- Only suitable for indoor use. You can’t use these stair treads in outdoor applications.
- They are not uniformly shaped.
- You may find it difficult to remove the thin plastic film at the back of these treads during installation.
In conclusion, the best overall non-slip stair treads on this list are the EdenProducts Non-Slip Carpet Stair Treads. These treads’ wood blends and fiber structure help them hold up to repeated use and high traffic without moving or coming apart.
They offer a decent amount of slip resistance and are suitable for indoor and outdoor applications. Also, they are easy to maintain and clean and do not leave behind any residue after installation.